Friday, January 6, 2012

The Chest

Today the Christmas tree finally came down. Because of the move to Washington the tree was put up later in December, so we decided to enjoy it a little longer into January this year! After taking down all of the beautiful Christmas decorations I had an empty feeling and started to feel depressed. I looked around my plain living room and suddenly wanted to throw every decoration away and start new. This ungrateful feeling hit me like a load of bricks. And that is when I got emotional. Looking around at all of the things I do have my eyes landed on "the chest". This chest was brought across the ocean on a big ship with one of my ancestors....sorry mom that I didn't listen when you told me the history on it. If the chest could speak I am sure it would tell amazing stories of hardship, happiness, and a very interesting journey. I am so blessed, and  have so much to thank my heavenly father for. I am thankful for my ancestors and their willingness to come to the United States. I am thankful for a safe, clean, and warm place to live. I am thankful for a loving husband that treats me like a queen. Last but not least I am thankful to be in tune with the spirit, and listen when I need to be kicked in the butt and realize how blessed I am!





2 comments:

life with the swaner family said...

I know that exact feeling. I hate it when the decorations come down it feels so bare. I decided to take what I have and just mix it up a little and that seems to help.

Gayle said...

The old chest sounds pretty cool. I am sure there is a great history behind it.
Don't worry once spring comes around you can put up some more fun decorations.